State Champions – FCHS Speech Team
PRESS RELEASE – March 15, 2018
For the second time in three years, the Fluco Speech team won the State Title. At the March 24 competition at Clover Hill, 15 Flucos competed at the state level in nine categories. Eight students won the title in their category and four were runners up, giving the Flucos the States Title with a total of 39 points, far above their nearest competitor.
The following Flucos were State Champions:
- Alex Pellicane, Sophomore-Extemporaneous Speaking
- Madison Stafford, Senior Humorous Interpretation (This is Madison’s third State Championship.)
- Corban Van Ornum, Senior – Poetry
- Kyera Watkins, Senior – Prose
- Hailey Donald, Junior and Jordan Palmer, Junior-Humorous Duo (This is their second consecutive State Championship)
- Alex Logan, Senior and Kate Moncure, Senior-Serious Duo
There were also four students who placed in the top four:
- Sydney Small, Senior – Runner-up in Storytelling
- Danielle Sumner, Sophomore-Runner-up in Original Oratory
- Paul Nazari, Junior and Cameron Taylor, Junior-Runners-up in Humorous Duo
- Sammy Hagan, Senior-Fourth in Impromptu
“This team has a lot to be proud of. It has been a long season (starting in August), a whole lot of Saturdays, and numerous setbacks and struggles. But in the end, they persevered and stood out on top,” said Coach Craig Edgerton.
Of the students that placed, eight qualified for Nationals and will represent Fluvanna in Fort Lauderdale in June.
The team is holding a Speech Showcase and Silent Auction May 10 to help prepare for Nationals and display their best work. Come support the Speech team on their journey to Nationals.
For additional information about the Speech team, contact Mr. Craig Edgerton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-589-8208.
Submitted by: Syerra Milliman, FCHS Journalism Student