FCPS Health and Safety Questions
The division has created a 2020-2021 FCPS, Health Mitigation Plan as required by the Virginia Department of Education. Measures include health checks for staff and students, requiring the use of mask/shields/face coverings when six feet of distancing can not be maintained, adherence to social distancing, and increased cleaning protocols.
1. Will students and staff undergo a daily health screening? What will student health screenings involve?
Students and staff are expected to perform a health screening at home prior to arriving at school. This includes a temperature check and identifying any COVID-19 symptoms that may be present. If an individual is not feeling well or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, they should stay at home and contact the school.
Students must wear masks, shields, or face coverings and go through the division provided health screening at the entrance of the school building prior to being permitted to go to their classrooms. Temperatures will be taken with a non-touch thermometer. Students without a fever will be allowed to proceed to their class. A student with a fever at or above 100.4 will have their temperature taken a second time. If fever is confirmed, the student will be escorted to one of the school’s quarantine locations and a parent will be notified.
2. What is considered a fever?
A fever is a temperature at or above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. If my student is found to have a fever during the school division’s health screening, when will my student be allowed to return to school?
The student must pass a temperature check upon return to school and have gone for at least 24 hours without fever or without using fever-reducing medicine.
4. What are the symptoms of Covid19?
People with these symptoms or combinations of these symptoms may have Covid19:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
5. Will masks/shields/face coverings be required?
Students and staff will wear masks/shields/face coverings when they enter/exit the school building, in common areas such as hallways and when using FCPS transportation. All individuals will be required to wear masks/shields/face coverings in the classroom/school building when six-feet of social distancing cannot be maintained.
6. Will there be disciplinary consequences if students refuse to comply with wearing masks/shields/face coverings?
Students who refuse to wear their masks/shields/face coverings will be counseled. Individuals who continuously refuse to wear face coverings will be removed from the setting. Parents will be contacted with the intent that students can return to the classroom.
7. Will students and staff be allowed to bring their own mask/shields/face coverings? If students can bring their own, will there be guidance on what is acceptable?
Yes, students will be able to bring their own face coverings. However, face coverings must be school-appropriate and not disrupt the school environment.
8. Will masks/shields/face coverings be provided by FCPS?
Each student and staff member will receive one washable and reusable face covering. FCPS will have masks available for students or staff who need them on a given day. KN95 masks will be provided for school health personnel, custodians, and also to staff providing personal care assistance.
9. What happens if my student has a health condition that makes it so they cannot wear a face mask/shield/face covering?
All medical situations will be handled on a case by case basis. Such medical conditions should be brought to the attention of the head nurse and building-level principal, prior to the start of school.
10. What are the plans for social distancing?
Social distancing is the ability of people to maintain 6 feet of distance apart from each other. Based on the reduced numbers of people in the buildings with the staggered, alternating schedule FCPS is utilizing for the 2020-2021 school year, we anticipate that students/teachers will be able to social distance for a majority of the school day.
11. Will there be changes to visitor practices, policies, and procedures? Will parents and visitors have access to the school buildings?
Yes, there will be changes to protect the students, staff, and community. We will be limiting access to our buildings. Should someone need to come into the building for any reason, they will be subject to the wearing of masks/shields/face coverings and a health screening.