Special Education Advisory Committee
Department of Special Education Links
Do you have one hour a month to meet with other parents and help students with disabilities? The Fluvanna County Public Schools Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) invites parents and other interested community members to join our group. All meetings are open to the public. Click here for a registration form to become an official member. 2015-2016 Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting dates: Meetings will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. October 21, 2015 November 18, 2015 January 20, 2016 February 17, 2016 March 16, 2016 April 20, 2016 May 10, 2016 Location: Fluvanna County Public Schools Administrative Office 14455 James Madison Highway Palmyra, VA 22963 Purpose: The Local Special Education Advisory Committee, a Fluvanna County School Board committee, focuses on assisting the school division in meeting the needs and improving the performance of children with disabilities. The committee advises the school division of needs in the education of children with disabilities and ways in which they would like to see services improved. Any parent interested is encouraged to attend. Middle and high school students with disabilities are welcome to attend meetings. Community members with knowledge of the needs of children with disabilities are also encouraged to become a part of the committee.
2015-2016 Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting dates:
Meetings will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- October 21, 2015
- November 18, 2015
- January 20, 2016
- February 17, 2016
- March 16, 2016
- April 20, 2016
- May 10, 2016
What does the Special Education Advisory Committee do?
- Give advice about unmet needs in special education
- Help develop plans for improving performance of students with disabilities
- Take part in developing ways to meet needs of students with disabilities
- Access and review needs/plans for special education, submit reports and recommendations to the Superintendent and School Board
- Assist the school system in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services.The SEAC meets during the school year to discuss current “hot topics” of Fluvanna County Special Education services.
Who serves on the SEAC?
- Parents/guardians/family members of students with disabilities
- People with disabilities
- Related community service providers
- Other interested community members?
- Katrina Lee
- Clint Estes
- Brenda Pace
- Beverly Kerr
- Theresa Simmons
- Heidi Hull
- Emily LeSueur
- Janice LeSueur
- Thomas Guardi
- Jennifer Jenkins
- Karen Holtz
New Special Education Website for Parents: The Fluvanna County Public Schools in collaboration with the Virginia Department of Education and the Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities at George Mason University, is pleased to announce the launch of a new Web site dedicated to providing comprehensive information on special education issues, practices and services to families who have children with disabilities in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The new Web site is Virginia Family Special Education Connection. If you would like to serve on this committee, please contact Katrina Lee, Director of Special Education @ firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 589-8208.