Special Education Timelines
Department of Special Education Links
- Through grade three, all children must be screened in areas of vision, hearing, speech, voice, language, fine and gross motor skills within 60 days* of initial enrollment.
- In grades seven and ten, all children must be screened in areas of vision and hearing.
- In grades five through ten, must be provided information on scoliosis screening.
Referral of Individual student:
A decision to evaluate, refer to the school based intervention team, or refuse evaluation must be made by administrator or special education designee
Screening – Individual Student:
- Action by Committee within l0 days of referral
- Explore and recommend regular education alternatives appropriate to situation
- Refer to School Based Intervention Team for assistance
Refer to special education administrator when disability suspected.
Formal Assessment Initiated :
5 days* Following parent consent
- Upon written referral by school based intervention team to special education administrator; or,
Parent referral to special education
Within 65 business days of referral
Within 30 days (calendar)
- Within 30 calendar days of determination of eligibility
- Placement affected as soon as possible upon completion of IEP
- Upon parent or teacher request
Triennial Review (May be a Review of Existing Data-IF parents and staff agree no new data is needed for continuation of special education services)
*NOTE: Business days (unless stated otherwise)
PROCEDURAL SAFEGUARDS NOTIFICATION
At a minimum, a copy of the procedural safeguards document must be given to parents upon:
- Initial referral for evaluation
- Once a year thereafter
- Receipt of a request for a due process hearing; and
- Notification of a decision to take disciplinary action